Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Life These Days....

Well, it finally came.  Sunday night J left for his deployment.  We knew it was coming, but they moved up the date for security purposes and they headed out about a week before we had planned for him to leave.  The few days leading up to him leaving were CRAZY!!!  Friday night, our sweet friends down here in Gulfport threw us a "going away party."  It was such a fun night and was so light-hearted fun, it made us forget about what the next couple days would hold. 

On Saturday, we moved out of our apartment.  We had decided that we didn't want to try to move after Josh was gone, so the whole day was pretty much a blur!  We got all packed up, moved to our storage unit, and to the house we were staying at by 6:30.  We enjoyed our last few hours before we all crashed for the night and prepare ourselves for what Sunday would hold.  On Sunday, we wanted to go to our church down here one last time and spend the majority of the day like a normal Sunday would have been.  We went to church, enjoyed lunch with our friends, and then went back to nap, and finish up the last minute things that needed to get done.  Josh and them were suppose to meet at midnight and leave out a couple of hours later.  

We hadn't decided if we were going to take Easton or not, but when we got ready to leave Heather and Ryan's, Easton was still up and kicking, so we just brought him along.  I had several friends offer to ride with us to take Josh to base to offer support, love, and comfort, but in the end, I decided that this was something I wanted to do alone.  I wanted to spend his last hour or so with just him and our baby and enjoy each other.  I was truly happy that is the way that I decided to go.  It was such a peace to just sit there together right before he had to leave.  
I cannot tell you how hard it was to let him go that night.  I just wanted to hold him forever and pretend that he didn't have to leave...but in all reality, we both knew he did.  
As left base, one of our friends called me and offered to let me stop by before we went back to go to bed.  I was happy to have gotten that call because it was nice to talk to someone instead of going back and being by myself.  We talked for about 2 hours, when I received a text from J that their departure time had been pushed back about 18 hours.  Great..... He's in the same town as me, less than 10 miles from where I was staying, and as much as I wanted to, I couldn't go back and see him.  
Monday was a very hard day for me.  I knew Josh still hadn't left, and I wanted so badly to go back and see him since he was so close, but since they were in lock down, they weren't allowed to have contact with anyone.  At this point, as much as I wanted him to stay, I also was ready for him to go so that we could start settling into our new routine and start putting days down in the deployment.  Luckily, late Monday night, they were able to get out and get going.  I had a small pitty party at the fact that he was really gone, but soon looked forward to getting to see him via skype and talk to him and get on somewhat of a normal schedule.  
I was thrilled early Tuesday morning to get an email from him saying that they had made it about halfway  and had to stop for fuel.  I really had never been so excited for an email!!!  
Tuesday was a much calmer day.  The emotions weren't as raw, Easton and I were slowly adapting into just the two of us, and hopefully soon, Josh would be settled and be able to call.  
And on Tuesday night, my wish was finally granted!!!  He had gotten settled and was finally able to call.  We only got to talk about 25 minutes or so, but let me tell you, they were the best 25 minutes we had ever had on the phone!!  It was so wonderful to hear from him and know that he could finally call.  We still have several transitions to make before we are finally settled where we will be staying while Josh is gone.  We will leave Gulfport Saturday (the flight was already booked before we knew exactly when Josh would be leaving) and we will hopefully arrive back in North Carolina early Sunday afternoon.  Easton and I are both looking forward to getting settled, getting busy and letting time pass quickly.  
But in the midst of everything going on, Easton and I have still been able to have plenty of fun!!!

Easton enjoying breakfast Tuesday morning.  

Easton trying a bite of a real banana for the first time....wasn't sure what to think of it

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment